Last night Zane and I took Jacque (my mother in law) to the closing ceremonies for the Lubbock Centennial. It was the ending of a year long celebration that started last March. The evening was a three hour concert of performers of all kinds from the area. Let me just tell you there is something in the water here or the air, as Joe Ely said last night. There has been some amazing talent that has come out of the South Plains and it's not just Buddy Holly, even though he is a legend.
The event was hosted by Mac Davis and some of the performers included Tom Braxton, David Gashen, Jennifer Smith, Raina English, Joe Ely, Terry Allen, Richie McDonald, Jay Boy Adams, Kenny Maines and Donnie Allison. You guys probably don't know them by their names because I sure didn't, but for example Tom Braxton is a world renowned saxaphone player, David Gashen has been the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera on Broadway thirteen times and Richie McDonald was the lead singer of Lonestar. It was a great way to celebrate 100 years of Lubbock and a fantastic evening to showcase the rich music history from this area!
1 comment:
How nice! I wanted to go, but I didn't get to!
Random: I just found out you guys had a new blog. I love the layout and the masthead photo! :)
Post a Comment