Saturday, September 13, 2014

Blighted Ovum

Blighted Ovum...It was foreign language to me a little over a week ago. It occurs when a fertilized egg implants in the uterus but doesn't develop into an embryo.


This picture was taken on August 6th and I immediately said "Thank you lord" out loud. That day I went in for blood work and initial paper work. Zane and I were both over the moon happy but it felt different this time.  The next day the nurse called me back with results and my numbers were low, but it was very early. She said come back next week and we will check again. The next week I had low progesterone so they put me on progesterone pills. I ended up doing blood work a total of six times in 4 short weeks with numbers that never were normal. 

Last week we went in for the 8 week sonogram. I was VERY, very anxious that day. As they were doing the sonogram I knew what to look for since we still have all of Presley's printed sonogram pictures. There was nothing in the gestational sac. Not even a little spec. My doctor was concerned that maybe I was not as far along as I thought, "maybe you are 6 weeks along, it looks like a beautiful sac for someone that didn't know when their last cycle was and just walked in off of the street". But I knew that I was not off by 2 weeks, it didn't make sense in my head. So they doubled up my progesterone just in case there was a baby and sent us on our way. 

This last week of waiting, wondering and worry was miserable. We had plenty of time to think, grieve and be at peace with it. I knew in my heart that there was no baby. We went back for another sonogram and confirmed that there was nothing and were diagnosed with Blighted Ovum. No April 2015 baby. They gave me an option of either waiting it out and miscarrying naturally or doing a d&c procedure to remove the tissue and sac. I was very torn and decided to do the d&c. It went well and I am home resting comfortably, a little sore and some bleeding but that's it. 

 This situation has made me so thankful to have such an easy and non-eventful pregnancy with Presley. It just wasn't our time and I know god has a different plan. We have to wait 3 months to try again and even then we may not be ready. For now i'm going to love on Pres! I have had an amazing support group through all of this- thank you to everyone that has checked on us and offered to help! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A little late on the comments, but so glad I could be there for you. Love you sooooo much sweet girl!!!