Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bad luck with cars?

It is currently 7* but feels like -11* with the winds blowing around 20 mph. It has stopped snowing but it is still blowing around. HELLO WINTER! When the weather is bad my office operates on the Lubbock ISD cancellation/delay policies so yesterday we didn't have to come to work which was so great, especially after the shower (i'll do a seperate post about the shower). I spent the day organizing and starting on thank you's and didn't leave the house. When Zane got home from work he said that he thinks something was wrong with his truck. Preface: Zane got a new coach car last week, a 2006 Z71 and has loved it so far. So I told him that i'm sure it was fine and it was probably just from the cold weather. We decided that we didn't want to cook dinner so Zane left to grab something to eat real quick. Thank god I didn't go with him.

He calls me 10 minutes later and says "I think I just dropped the transmission on this bad boy" and my stomach drops. "Hold tight i'm going to call the dealership and i'll call you back". So the dealer has Zane do something with the 4-wheel drive to make it run again. He was just going to come back to the house, he probably made it 100 yards and the entire rear left axle including the tire and rim attached came off. Now an already bad situation was made worse because of the weather, 9* with wind chills in the negatives, blowing snow etc... Zane calls me back in a panic, "come get me and hurry!" Where it happened there was no shoulder so his truck was in the middle of the road.

Once I get to him, which wasn't far from the house, we call Triple A. Triple A can only tow you for free 3 miles from where you are. Then it's $4 per mile after that. What's the point in paying a membership then?! The whole time we are both thinking about my car situation a few years ago, read about it here. So we wait on the tow truck. While we were waiting about 7different people stopped to help, most were young cowboys with cigarettes and big trucks. Just a funny observation. Once the tow truck got there it was the wrong type, they needed a flat bed since his axle was gone (which Zane had told the Triple A lady) so he had to go back to the other side of town to pick up the flat bed tow truck. Eventually a cop passed us and helped deter traffic. We ended up waiting over 3 hours for it to be towed. I'm not sure what's going to happen next but i'll keep you posted. I'm just so thankful that he is ok and that he wasn't on the freeway going 70 MPH when it happened!

No comments: